Mission and History
The mission of KIMEP University is to develop well-educated citizens and to improve the quality of life in Kazakhstan and the Central Asian region through teaching, learning, community service and the advancement of knowledge in the fields of business administration and social sciences. To fulfill this mission, we offer graduate and undergraduate degree programs at the highest level of international educational standards in business, economics, finance, accounting, public administration, political science, international relations, law, pedagogy, journalism and mass communication to outstanding students, who will become equals to graduates of universities anywhere in the world. We seek to select students from among those who demonstrate leadership, talent and language capabilities, irrespective of their financial means, gender or ethnic origin, or any other subjective criteria.
KIMEP University has grown substantially since President Nursultan Nazarbayev established the Institute on January 14, 1992. He gave Dr. Chan Young Bang the responsibility of managing and developing this new academic institute, the first in Central Asia to be modeled on the North American system of education. By attracting local and international scholars, encouraging excellence in all operations and focusing on the long-term well-being of the members of this community, KIMEP University has grown into a vibrant , matching the high standards of leading Western academic institutions.
KIMEP has contributed enormously to the growth and development of the nation and its people by challenging young men and women to draw upon their standards of excellence and to contribute to society after graduation.
- KIMEP University is founded by resolution of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev. Dr. Bang is appointed as the first Executive Director.
- MBA and MA in Economics programs launched.
- MPA program launched
- KIMEP University first graduating of 81 MBA and MA students receive their diplomas.
- An International Executive Center is created with help from McGill University, Montreal.
- KIMEP University introduces four-year bachelor programs in Business Administration and Social Sciences. The first 424 undergraduate students begin their classes.
- The Ministry of Education and Science grants KIMEP University a permanent state license to conduct educational activity in the field of higher and graduate education.
- KIMEP University launches a BA in Economics program.
- KIMEP University becomes the first institution in Central Asia to implement a U.S.-style credit system for all Academic programs.
- On-line registration system is introduced.
- Renovation of academic buildings is completed, creating a state-of-the-art campus.
- KIMEP University academic programs are attested by the Ministry of Education and Science.
- Exchange and collaboration programs with leading American, European and Korean Universities are launched.
- KIMEP University introduces a Master of Arts in International Relations and a Master of Arts in International Journalism and Mass Communication.
- A Bachelor of Arts in International Journalism begins its first classes.
- KIMEP University academic departments are restructured into three Colleges: the Bang College of Business, the College of Social Sciences and the College of Continuing Education.
- KIMEP University is awarded the Platinum Tarlan award in the Enlightenment category. KIMEP University is the only institution of higher education in Kazakhstan to be awarded this prize, which is the highest level of independent award given in Kazakhstan.
- The Bang College of Business is granted membership to AACSB International.
- KIMEP University begins its Doctor of Business Administration program.
- Construction finishes on a new custom-built, $3m research library.
- KIMEP University launches a Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages.
- KIMEP University becomes a member of the Consortium for Erasmus Mundus External Cooperation Window (EMECW) lot mobility program.
- KIMEP University opens a new $10m academic building.
- President Nazarbayev visits KIMEP to tour the new academic building and library and meet students, faculty and administrators.
- A School of Law opens and begins offering a minor in law to undergraduate students and a LLM in international law.
- The first class of 12 students graduates from KIMEP University’s two-year Executive MBA program.
- KIMEP University dedicates its library in honor of Dr. Oliver Giscard d’Estaing, one of KIMEP University first and most dedicated benefactors.
- The Department of Public Administration is granted full membership to NASPAA, the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration.
- The Department of Public Administration becomes a member of NAPSIPAG, the Network of Asia-Pacific Schools and Institutes of Public Administration and Governance.
- Olga Uzhegova becomes KIMEP first DBA graduate.
- Tatyana Crum and Roza Sviridenko become KIMEP first LLM graduates.
- KIMEP University admits first class of Master of Economics students for a dual degree program with Humboldt University, one of the leading universities in Germany.
- The Bang College of Business received regional (level II) accreditation from the Asian Forum on Business Education. The award confirms that KIMEP University is two to four years from achieving the “gold standard” of global business school accreditation – AASCB and EQUIS. This is in line with KIMEP University’s own strategy to achieve this recognition in the next three years.
- KIMEP University’s College of Continuing Education is renamed the Executive Education Center, becoming more strongly integrated with KIMEP University’s academic and leadership programs.
- On February 8, 2012, KIMEP received confirmation from the Ministry of Justice of the Republic of Kazakhstan that its status has been changed, and the institute would now operate under the name KIMEP University. This change was effective January 26, 2012, when the ministry officially accepted the new charter of the university and issued a new certificate of registration.
- The Executive MBA in the Executive Education Center received level 2 (regional) accreditation from the Asian Forum on Business Education.