KIMEP University in Brief
HISTORY AND BACKGROUND
- KIMEP University is the oldest and largest US-style university in Central Asia.
- KIMEP University was founded by a resolution of the President of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Nursultan Nazarbayev, on January 14, 1992. Classes began in August of that year, and KIMEP University first MBA students graduated in June 1994.
- KIMEP University is an independent, not-for-profit coeducational institute serving a multicultural, multinational student body.
- KIMEP University is situated on a modern campus spread in the center of Almaty, Kazakhstan and Central Asia financial capital. Its facilities are among the best of any university in the region.
- KIMEP University has a license to offer academic programs from the Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan. The last visit of an attestation commission from the Ministry, on April 14-16 2008, resulted in KIMEP University being awarded five-year attestation for all its degree programs.
- KIMEP University currently offers fifteen degree programs, including undergraduate programs in Business Administration, Economics, Political Science and International Relations, Public Administration and Journalism, and masters programs in Business Administration, Economics, Law, and Teaching English as a Foreign Language. KIMEP University also offers a doctoral program in Business Administration. An Executive MBA program and a wide range of certificate programs and short courses are also offered.
- All KIMEP University degree programs are taught in English.
- KIMEP University faculty is made up of both Kazakhstani and expatriate scholars, the vast majority of whom earned their Masters and Doctoral Degrees from European and North American Universities. KIMEP is home to the largest concentration of Western Ph.D. holders of any institution of higher education in the CIS.
- Many types of financial aid, including scholarships, tuition waivers, and a work-study program are available to students at KIMEP University. In 2009-10 a total of 25% of incoming freshmen received financial aid. Combined with funds from external donors, KIMEP University controls an annual scholarship fund that is worth 4 million USD, making it the largest sponsor of private higher education in Kazakhstan.
- KIMEP University also provides many work opportunities to its students, providing almost 40,000 USD a year to student interns and assistants.
- KIMEP University graduates have the highest employment rates of graduates of any institution in Kazakhstan. On average, about 90% of our graduates are either employed or had continued their education within three months of graduating. KIMEP University graduates earn two to three times the national average wage.
- The top five employers of KIMEP University graduates in 2008 were PriceWaterhouseCoopers, Ernst & Young, KPMG, Deloitte, and Procter & Gamble.
- Current annual enrollment on all programs is about 4,000. Approximately 85% of currently enrolled students are undergraduates, with 15% studying on Masters and Doctoral programs.
- Students at KIMEP University come from 25 different countries, including Kazakhstan, Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan, the USA, the UK, Germany, China and Korea.
- KIMEP University international faculty also come from 25 different countries, including the USA, the UK, Canada, Australia, France, Italy, Kazakhstan, and Russia.